At Ear, Nose and Throat Surgical Clinic, ear ventilation tubes are often recommended when a person experiences repeated infections (acute otitis media) or hearing loss caused by persistent middle ear fluid (otitis media with effusion).
These conditions most commonly occur in children (but can also be present in teens and adults) and can lead to speech and balance problems, hearing loss, poor school performance, or changes in the structure of the ear drum.
Inserting ear ventilation tubes may:
- Reduce the risk of future ear infections
- Restore hearing loss caused by middle ear fluid
- Improve speech and balance problems
- Improve behavior and sleep problems caused by chronic ear infections
- Help children do their best in school.